Laser Hair Removal with Soprano ICE Platinum
Safe Hair Removal (SHR) is Alma Laser’s proprietary hair removal method used in clinics around the world. It is the only clinically proven method of laser hair removal that is virtually painless.
The Soprano ICE Platinum incorporates Alma’s SHR method, ensuring safe and comfortable hair removal. Rather than exposing hair follicles to a single high energy pulse which can cause trauma to the skin, SHR works by gradually heating the dermis to a temperature that effectively damages the hair follicles and prevents re-growth, while avoiding injury to the surrounding tissue.
A high repetition rate of short pulses are delivered deep into the dermis, achieving high average power and therapeutically effective heat build-up. The sweeping motion technique of moving the applicator repeatedly over the treatment area ensures full coverage while ICE technology cools the skin surface, preventing superficial burns and allowing for virtually painless yet highly effective hair removal.
As lasers target the melanin pigment within the hair follicle, ginger, white or grey hair will not be affected by the laser, therefore treatment is unsuitible. The more melanin in the hair, the more effective the treatment tends to be. Very fine hair (vellus hair) may also not be the best candidate for laser hair removal because hair lacking sufficient density may not contain enough melanin for an effective result.
The Soprano ICE Platinum offers the combined benefit of the three most effective wavelengths for hair removal:
- Alex Technology: 755nm wavelength offers more powerful energy absorption making it ideal for the widest range of areas.
- Diode Technology: 810nm is the classic wavelength to offer deeper penetration of the hair follicle and high average power.
- YAG Technology: 1064nm wavelength offers the deepest penetration of the hair follicle making it optimal solution for darker skin types and thicker, darker hair.
How many sessions will I need?
A full course of 6-8 treatments should result in a permanent reduction of hair growth; however this is dependent upon individual skin tone and hair. A good responder will expect to see a 60-90% reduction in hair growth. An annual top up session is recommended for maintenance.
Apart from shaving, avoid any other hair removal method such as waxing, threading or hair removal creams for 6 weeks prior to treatment and throughout your course. Avoid sunbeds or any kind of fake tan for 2 weeks and normal sun exposure for 1 week prior to treatment. You should shave areas to be treated 24- 48 hours before treatment.
Laser hair removal will only treat hair in the Anagen phase of growth, roughly 10-15% of the hair in any particular area will be at this phase at any time. Each treatment, 4-8 weeks apart will treat different hairs at this stage of their life cycle so you should see a roughly 10-15% reduction in hair per treatment. Most people will go for 6 to 8 treatments per area, possibly more for more resistant areas such as the face or private area.
What will happen after treatment?
After treatment you may experience mild redness or slight sensitivity. Aloe Vera gel is excellent to calm and soothe the skin and works well straight from the fridge. For any areas treated that are exposed to sunlight, you should protect your skin with a 50SPF sunscreen.
After the laser treatment avoid heat such as hot baths or showers, saunas, and steam rooms. Avoid vigorous exercise and swimming as the chemicals in the water may cause irritation.
Who can NOT be treated?
- Clients under the age of aged 18.
- Clients taking Accutane or who have been taking Accutane for the past 6-12 months.
- Clients who are on regular daily antibiotics
- Anyone who is pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant.
- Anyone who is sunburned, has had significant sun exposure less than 1 week prior to treatment or has a fake tan.
- Anyone with a history of cold sores to the treatment area should start taking an anti-viral medication one day before treatment and for 3 days after.
- Clients with epilepsy, vitiligo, type 1 diabetes, history of keloid scarring or lupus.
- Clients currently taking any medication or herbal supplement that may cause photo-sensitivity. It is advisable to seek a doctor’s note in this case before commencing treatment.
Do I need a consultation?
A consultation is required prior to treatment, during which our laser therapist will discuss the treatment and check the hair for sufficient colour. Our laser therapist will ask all clients to complete a medical questionnaire and consultation form and also perform a patch test on the area to be treated.
How much does the treatment cost?
Treatments start from £50 depending on the area to be treated, and courses are available.